Monday, June 28, 2004

The Metaphysical Club: A Story of Ideas in America, by Louis Menand

I picked up this book for 10 cents at a little used book store in West Virginia. It won the Pulitzer Prize for History in 2002, so I figured I'd give it a go.

I was quickly drawn into it, the book opening with talk of civil war era thinking, it was very interesting. It touched upon science in the 19th century, which I've always been enthralled with. In the last three parts (of five) it really gets pretty deep into philosphy of the 19th century. Now I am not a student of 19th century philosophy, or any philosophy for that matter, so it took some time for me to at least somewhat get my head around their ideas before I could properly read this. So it took me almost 2 months to finally get to the end of this book, and I still believe there was plenty I could learn from a rereading of it sometime in the future.

Good book, not dry and boring, but definately a lot of information packed into it's 400+ pages of reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home