Thursday, August 19, 2004

Call to Arms (The Damned, book 1), by Alan Dean Foster

I wasn't sure what to expect when a friend of mine loaned me this coverless hard back. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

It's about races of aliens who are battling for the future of the universe, and in this effort they travel the universe seeking out new planets and systems containing intelligent life. And inevitably they come upon earth, full of strangely ruthless creatures who are constantly at war, and deemed only moderately civilized. But they sure make magnificent fighters.

The story primarily follows a man who first encounters these aliens, and his realizations (along with my own) about what a violent species humans are. And I was quite interested in the aliens, they were quite "approachable" in my mind, which goes against what so many alien movies tell us. I liked that.

Good book, I'll need to find the rest in the trilogy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home